Thanksgiving Math Quiz
Five questions to get you geared up for Turkey Day.
Which weighs more?
- The weight of turkey that Americans will eat on Thanksgiving.
- The combined weight of the entire population of Chicago.
What percent of turkeys raised each year are eaten by Americans?
- About 90%.
- About 50%.
How close are humans to being pumpkins?
- About 75% genetically identical.
- About 90% genetically identical.
How often is Thanksgiving celebrated on the last Thursday in November?
- On average, 5/7 of the time.
At your Thanksgiving dinner feast, you’ve placed a name tent at each plate for yourself and nine guests. But your Uncle Huey, who’s too old to give a damn, has chosen his seat at random. Your other guests decide that they’ll come to the table and sit in the proper seat if no one is sitting there yet; if the seat with that person’s name tent is occupied, however, he’ll choose a different seat at random. As the host, you’ll be the last to sit. What’s the probability that you’ll get your assigned seat?
I’ll place a spoiler in the Comments on Thanksgiving Day.