Rank Math Trick
The Amazon sales rank for Math Jokes 4 Mathy Folks fluctuates between 20,000 and 300,000. The highest rank to date was 11,394, which occurred July 7, 2010, the morning after a review of the book appeared in Maria Miller’s Homeschool Math Blog and in her email newsletter.
Today, the Amazon sales rank was 113,113. Cool number, eh? Reminds me of an arithmetrick:
- Take a three‑digit number abc. Then, write it twice to make a six‑digit number abc,abc. (For instance, if you chose 113, then your six‑digit number would be 113,113.)
- I’m feeling lucky, so divide by 7.
- Hmm… I’m not feeling quite as lucky now, so divide by 11.
- Uh-oh. I no longer feel lucky at all. Divide by 13.
- Check your result. Should be the three‑digit number you started with, abc.
The following joke is a hint to why this trick works, in case you haven’t already figured it out:
Teacher: Can you find the prime factorization of 1,001?
Student: I didn’t even know it was lost!